It is said that over 131 years ago, a small band of Christians who resided in the southwestern part of Jefferson County attended the Calvary Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky. This church, being some distance away, created transportation problems for those members wishing to attend weekly prayer services. After much discussion and prayer, Sister Matilda Camp, Brother Orange Armstrong, and Brother Henry Rowan, along with others of the community, decided to hold prayer services in the various homes of members in the area. As the meetings grew, most often they were held in the home of Sister Camp. Her home is remembered as being the larger of the homes in the area and it stood on or near the corner of what is now Orell and Deering roads. Many events were held in her home; thus, it soon became known as the "Church."
Seeing the determination of the group to worship God in their own community, the Bohannon family deeded a plot of land on the corner of Orell Road and Blevins Gap Road, to the "Trustees of the Meadowlawn Colored Baptist Church and School." The Deed is recorded in Deed Book 234, page 465, dated June 30, 1879. There are no records of a school existing on the property, but it is commonly thought that the members were interested in their children receiving a secular education. It is thought that Brother Henry Rowan was an educated man because of his interest in teaching and learning.
The "Church" grew and new people began coming into the community. Brother Henry Rowan married Emily Fleming in the "Church" in 1878. Fannie Armstrong, daughter of Brother Orange Armstrong, married Brother Willis Irving. The Camps, Edmon and Matilda, were the parents of two natural children. Their son Henrymarried Mattie Ford. Their adopted son, Charlie Ford, an Indian child, married Rebecca Irving. The Fords, Irvings, and Rowans were the backbone of the community for many years.